nafex - [NAFEX] pear psyla

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pear psyla
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 14:43:48 -0400

I have been having a running battle with pear psyla on my own nursery and orchard and I wonder if any of you can give me some helpful tips at control.

I have been using summer oil, which has been reasonably affective, but about 30 days after last application I saw the shoots starting to shrivel and ID'd some of the bastards with my glass.  It's nice and cool so I shot on some more oil at about 1.5%.  I thought about throwing some Avaunt in the mix but decided to send out this note instead to see if any of you have experience at bringing this pest to extinction on a site.  I hate the extra maintenance but I'm afraid it may be a permanent hassle.

For any of you who might have a couple of pear trees that never quite seem to thrive well enough to bear crops and get soot on the leaves without the presence of aphids- you probably have psyla.  Leaves will probably be tended to by ants or yellow jackets.   It's an easy pest to miss or mis-diagnose as aphids, although that would require some carelessness.  I have seen this mistake made by a commercial tree care company.