nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:23:10 -0400

Smooth green snakes are known to climb in bushes looking for insects, and the only one I have seen was about 3 feet off the ground in a bush.
I expect that your garter snake was doing the same.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

William C. Garthright wrote:
This is only slightly on topic - and it's not very important, at that - but can anyone tell me what the garter snakes are doing climbing my black raspberry canes? I doubt if they're eating the raspberries. :-)

I've got LOTS of garter snakes in the yard, and I'm always glad to see them. But seeing a big (for a garter snake) snake three feet off the ground in the raspberry patch yesterday was kind of surprising. What was it doing? I thought they mostly ate earthworms, but the other day, someone here mentioned slugs, so maybe that's what it was looking for. I never see slugs when I'm picking raspberries (though I haven't been looking), but I don't know what else the snake could catch there.

Just wondering - though, I guess, not enough to spend time searching online. As I say, it's not very important, but does anyone know? I've seen snakes climbing bushes and vines often enough, but this is the first time I've seen one climb raspberries. I assume that they're hunting something, though maybe it's just safer than staying on the ground?

OK, time to go pick raspberries again, if the snakes - or, more likely, the birds - haven't gotten there first. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)