nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Greensand equals Manganese toxicity

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Greensand equals Manganese toxicity
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:39:33 -0400

Ernest is right, but we associate "heavy metal" with toxins like mercury and loud music.

Manganese is a micronutrient, and it easily becomes toxic.  Far better to manage these through soil pH and lots of organic matter in the soil to act as a buffer.  Boron, copper and zinc all exist on a fine line between toxic and deficient.

What is a amazing is that life has built soil that contains the proper portions of these elements, while their abundance varies widely in source rock.