nafex - [NAFEX] Gooseberry question

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:00:35 -0500

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote, "I hear it is much easier to top and tail gooseberries if you freeze them first and then roll them around. The tops and tails supposedly just fall off. Anyone tried this?"

I tried it and it does work but separating the berries from the trash was problematic. Some of the tops floated in water but some of them stuck to the berries. Stems were somewhat less of a problem. Perhaps if the fruit was frozen in trays in a frost-free freezer there might be less of an adhesion problem.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: