nafex - [NAFEX] Manganese in Greensand

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Manganese in Greensand
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:56:03 -0500

Mathew Waehner asked, "It seems that a lot of people use greensand without ill
effects. Any documentation, beyond your own soil tests?"

My information mainly comes from what my soils people tell me when I send in a soil sample from my raspberry beds. I've got raspberry plants that exhibit the chlorosis normally seen in plants that were sprayed with Round Up. Some time in the past, greensand was broadcast in that area. I normally would not expect manganese to be a problem until the pH drops below 5 but some other, unknown, mechanism seems to be at play. Removing the spent canes away from that area is slowly lowering the incidence of toxicity.
I'm glad you asked the question because, after checking online, it appears there are two compounds called "greensand", greensand and manganese greensand. The person who broadcast "greensand" here bought his product from a water filtration business, a company that uses manganese greensand. Checking my Handbook of Chemistry, I learned that the other greensand does not contain manganese. So it is me that was confused and if you hadn't asked the question, I'd still be confused.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: