nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black currant recipes

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black currant recipes
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:06:14 -0700

Jostas are a complex cross, I understand, between two currants and a gooseberry.  Haven’t tasted it, but do understand it’s very black-curranty.  I agree with you about the use of black currants in baking – they’re very strongly flavored.  I use them as a substitute for raisins or cranberries; or for currants, when the recipe intended zantes.

I like all your ideas, and I love your apple/currant juice idea.

As far as classic recipes, if one can’t find blackcurrant jelly and crème de cassis recipes online, I’m pretty sure I have them around.  I also love currant fondant in chocolates, and currant hard candies.  Not so much with the anthocyanins or the healthy.

~ Stephen