nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Trouble with establishing a kiwi

  • From: abb7@Lehigh.EDU
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Trouble with establishing a kiwi
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:41:58 -0400

From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of
Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:40 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] Trouble with establishing a kiwi

I need some help with a kiwi problem..

I am trying to establish kiwis this year. I am having trouble with my female
Saanichtons. I planted one, it seemed to thrive, then approximately 1 month
at the site, the leaves wilted, dropped. It was showing so signs of leafing
out again despite green cambium, so I replaced it with a vigorous, actively
leafing out female about 4 weeks ago. Now that plant is starting to wilt at
all of its terminal leaf clusters. All this difficulty has occurred at one
this site.

If this plant does not recover, dig it out and examine the roots. If they are mushy, the plant may have root rot. The first female kiwi I ordered started wilting in the pot it came in shortly after delivery. I lifted it out of the pot, and the roots were black and mushy, not white and firm like those of the (healthy) male. The vendor replaced it right away.

Alex