nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone growing goji in zone 4?

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone growing goji in zone 4?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm growing Goji berries in zone 3. I got seeds from Jim Ternier at Prairie
Garden Seeds in Cochin, SK Canada last year. He kindly sent me two packets:
seeds he had grown and collected as well as seeds from a Chinese grocery. I
started both inside, then my toddler mixed up the labels and so I planted out
a mix of both kinds making up about 50 plants last spring. There was a lot
of variability in survival this past winter: some were hardy right to the tip
and some died back to the ground. We have had several very dry years in a
row, including this one, and I have lost several hardy trees and had all my
apricots die back varying amounts (some down to 6" for 8' never having died
back at all even after a -48F winter) so this isn't the year for me to judge
hardiness. I did pull out some of the Goji berries (we had a really late
week of frosts combined with 6" of snow the second week of June) when I
noticed that some of them showed frost damage as well
as the top die back from the winter whereas others showed no damage at all.
I also put in 150 more seedlings (carefully labeled with Sharpie on plastic
under the plant pots to circumvent my toddler!) this spring and I will post
how the berries from both sources do next spring.

Goji Berries have been growing feral in Edmonton ever since they were brought
here by Chinese railroad workers. And I also recently met a Chinese
gentleman on the U.B.C. Botanical Garden Forum (look for the Goji thread) and
he and his wife have been growing Goji berries (he calls them a slightly
different name) for years in Edmonton which is a zone 3/4.

This year I also bought Goji Berries from the Saskatoon Farm (on the web)
which I believe is in zone 3 and from Dominion Seeds (on the web), but they
list their as zone 5 hardy and emphasized to me that there is no guarantee
with my plants!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB