nafex - [NAFEX] Trouble with establishing a kiwi

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Trouble with establishing a kiwi
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:39:41 -0400

I need some help with a kiwi problem..

I am trying to establish kiwis this year. I am having trouble with my female Saanichtons. I planted one, it seemed to thrive, then approximately 1 month at the site, the leaves wilted, dropped.  It was showing so signs of leafing out again despite green cambium, so I replaced it with a vigorous, actively leafing out female about 4 weeks ago.  Now that plant is starting to wilt at all of its terminal leaf clusters.  All this difficulty has occurred at one this site.

In the arbor area, I also have another female Saanichton, a male pollinator and two hardy kiwis and a muscadine. They are all vigorous and growing rapidly.

I have seen no pests so far on the kiwis. I have red clay soil, about 6.2 pH, I add bone meal to the planting hole, then mulch the plants with composted stable waste.  They are protected from weeds and staked to bamboo for support. They are all in full sun. We have had a rainy year, but with periods of heat and dry. The soil has been moist overall, though the site does drain well.  All the plants are planted soil level to slightly high.

Any thoughts on this one site or what is wrong with these two successive kiwis?  I’d like to use the site if possible as I have limited space.

Thanks,

Betsy Hilborn

7a NC