nafex - Re: [NAFEX] leachy phosphate? now manure/compost fertilizer

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] leachy phosphate? now manure/compost fertilizer
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think it's possible to add too much compost to most soils. It's the manure that gets you into trouble. If you have heavy feeders that the compost is not enough for, you could try a foliar feed with fish emulsion. It will give the plants a quick boost without making an irreversible overfeeding situation. These days, I find that plenty of compost is usually enough for even heavy feeders like tomatoes. The produce seems to keep better too if you don't feed a lot of extra Nitrogen.