nafex - [NAFEX] Giberrellic Acid treatments on dwarf peaches [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "ADAMSON, Karl" <Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Giberrellic Acid treatments on dwarf peaches [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:01:28 +1000

Since we are talking GA, has anyone used GA on dwarf peaches (I'm not
talking dwarfing rootstocks but the dwarf mutants)? I'd like to fast
track the growth of my dwarf peaches by treating them with GA when they
break dormancy next season.

Sam is correct its Gibberellic acid (GA) that's used.
Its basic action is to make cells grow much larger (in only the
lengthwise direction).

In grapes it can serve a number of functions.
1) At -25 to -5 days preflowering its used mainly to lengthen the
bunches (this can facilitate drying when ripe and open up tight
varieties)
2) Sprayed at -5 to 0 days preflowering it thins bunches and promotes
seedlessness (less grapes larger overall size)
3) Sprayed 0 - 14 days post flowering when the fruit cells are
proliferating it expands these cells so the fruit can eventually grow
much larger.

You also get some maturity alteration depending on when you spray.
This must all be done in conjunction with normal commercial vine
management and it must be noted that GA's effect is variety dependent,
some varieties do not react to it in a commercially beneficial way.

In the backyard, a harsh combination of pruning, bunch thinning/tipping
and girdling can produce a grape that rivals GA treatment, but why
bother, it just means less fruit and larger targets for the birds!

Karl

IMPORTANT: This email may contain confidential or privileged information.
If
you are not the addressee you may not copy, use or rely on the contents of
this
email or any attachment. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission.