nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherry pitter

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherry pitter
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

I "pit" mine by cooking them slightly and then running the whole mess through
a food mill: the stainless steel kind that has a sweeping blade that pushes
the food against a screen (I think they are called a Foley Food mill, but I
don't mean the kind with a wooden stick to work the fruit through a screened
"funnel"). It works well for making jam as the result is a good fruit puree
that just needs to be measured into the cooking pot.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB