nafex - Re: [NAFEX] My experience with Elephant Garlic

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] My experience with Elephant Garlic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:20:49 -0400

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

Question: How do you plant garlic bulbs? Are they just like onion
bulbs where they are just pushed into the top layer of the soil or are
they planted deeper than that?

Brian,
I plant mine so that the top of the bulb is about 4" below the surface.
I did experience some winter injury here in zone 7 though, so maybe they
should be deeper?

Betsy Hilborn

I plant the sort of garlic with a hard central flower-stalk in MA, zone 6. I just scratch a hole in the soil and drop the bulb in, the top of the bulb is maybe 2" below the soil line. I've never had any winter kill. They don't get huge and fat, but they don't get full sun, either.

Ginda