nafex - [NAFEX] Organic growing(row crops) - slightly off topic

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Organic growing(row crops) - slightly off topic
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:35:42 -0700

Posting this in case it has any value to anyone.

As an FYI, some time ago, on one of my many travel adventures I came across a
nice organic booth at a farmers market and chatted it up a bit with the
owner. He told me he was part of organic cooperative that hit upon a simple
solution to some of the complexities of organic intensive truck farming.

Essentially what they did was each farm only grew a portion of what each farm
sold, and they got the rest from the co-operative so each could offer their
customers a full range of crops. However the real reason for this
interesting. By only growing a small number of crops on their land parcels
each year the growers were able to practice full crop rotation on their land
and since the farms were geographically apart they felt pest pressures did
not build up as the same crop was never in the same area any two years in a
row. More interesting was it also allowed them to fallow their farms every
few years in a rotation. That year the fallow grower would assist the others
and administer the co operative while still getting his goods from the co
operative to sell. Apparently this allowed someone to go out and visit other
growers and get some family vacation time in also which he said was of great
benefit.

Anyways…

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Organic growing(row crops) - slightly off topic, fuwa fuwa usagi, 06/13/2009