nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions about using Carbaryl (Sevin) to drastically thin apples.

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions about using Carbaryl (Sevin) to drastically thin apples.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:52:04 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,
     In horticulture class years ago, we were taught that Sevin thins only what it comes into contact with. So, theoretically, I guess you could thin one side of a tree only. But in reality, can you spray it that accurately?
     I would think that if one wanted no fruit left on a tree that it would be possible to spray strong enough to virtually achieve that goal. A very young tree might benefit from the increased growth that way.
     I'm sure some of the experts on this forum can further enlighten you on the subject.
                                Richard Harrison