nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bitter pecans

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bitter pecans
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:33:04 -0500

I've never seen(knowingly) 'Pleas' nuts, but it is a
pecanXbitternut hybrid that has been pretty widely
planted. I have access to a couple of grafted trees
of a pecanXbitternut hybrid, planted nearly 40 years
ago among a dozen or so grafted northern pecans -
nuts look like a very large bitternut nut, but have
the telltale stripes on the shell that reveal that it
has a pecan parent. Very early-maturing(Sept 1-15),
with very thin shell and high kernel percentage;
kernels look like bitternut hickory, and always have
some astringency, though some years, it's minimal.

Lucky

  • Re: [NAFEX] bitter pecans, Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu, 06/11/2009