nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw seedlings

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw seedlings
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:37:24 -0400

I don't think persimmon leaves resemble pawpaws much, and I can't imagine how a seed would have snuck in.  http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/divi.html

Pawpaws have a bad smell when you crush a leaf- kind of like cat pee.  You may not want to sacrifice a leaf right now, but it is a good test.

An unusual, similar plant would be dwarf pawpaw.  http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/aspa.html

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com> wrote:
They're getting a big of shade, more than a half day of full sun.
I've never been able to keep a persimmon alive here, do the leaves
have a similar shape?  Photos on the way in the next couple days.  The
difference in size & vigor is striking.

~mIEKAL

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 7:29 AM, <Jwlehman@aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 6/9/2009 4:38:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu writes:
>
> I see lots of new growth on young persimmons that has a ruddy to
> purplish cast - I can't recall noticing that feature on brand-new 1st
> year seedlings - but, maybe you got a couple of persimmon seeds in the mix
>
> ?
>

> I agree with Lucky. I've not seen pawpaw seedlings, have many, with a
> reddish tint. Persimmon yes and often. That reddish blush goes away when the
> leaves mature. Are the pawpaw seedlings shaded?  I'd like to see a picture,
> close-up. Are they shaded?
>
> Jerry

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.