nafex - [NAFEX] Pine needle mulch in orchard

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pine needle mulch in orchard
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:25:51 -0500

Betsy Hilborn asked, "Anything special about the pine needle mulch?"

Orchards that have grass or weeds around the trees have a potential problem. When it rains, the vegetation gets the water first and the trees get whatever is extra. If it only rains a slight amount, the trees may not get any. In years where rainfall is scarce, the trees experience major stress.
I use pine needle mulch because of one special quality needles have. Conifer needles tend to be hydrophobic. When it rains, only the uppermost layer gets wet and the rest of the water passes through the bulk of the needles without the needles getting wet. With one exception, all other mulched, that I have tried get thoroughly soaked before any moisture gets down to the soil. Pine needles take longer to degrade than most other mulches so I don't need to add more every year. In order to keep annual weeds from growing, 3" to 4" is required.
The above-mentioned exception is the chips left over from shredding raspberry canes. This mulch doesn't work quite as well as pine needle mulch but it does do the job.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: