nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raintree's nylon socks

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raintree's nylon socks
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:25:42 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

There should be brief (though in my opinion, inadequate) instructions on the
only sheet of paper that comes in the bag. I don't have it in front of me at
the moment because it is at my parent's house, but we put them over their
apples last weekend so it is fresh in my memory. Essentially I think you are
supposed to open it just enough to slip over the apple and then twist it over
the stem. Doing that seems to hold it in place fairly well although I
imagine a determined bug could find a way to wriggle in. We twisted them
over fairly tightly and then gave them each a little bit of a squeeze before
moving on to the next one. I think it also helps to pull the nylon a bit
from the end so that it is straight in line with the developing fruit and so
that it isn't snagged or caught up on the end of it. I can see a scenario
where that could stretch it on the side or push it off rather than filling up
the sock as it swells and develops.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon