nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Serviceberries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Serviceberries
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:53:34 -0400

On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

Are there Cedar Apple Rust resistant varieties? I love the fruit, but
most years my 'Regent' serviceberry (A. alnifolia) sets mostly deformed,
infected berries.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

I think there must be. The serviceberries outside my office had a lot of CAR last year, but the wild one in my back yard didn't have any that I saw, although several of the apples get it, so I know it's around. If you are asking if there are any selected varieties on the market, the answer is "I don't know". I don't think there's been a ton of breeding work on this fruit, so perhaps not.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6