nafex - [NAFEX] Serviceberries

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Serviceberries
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 09:02:31 -0500

Serviceberries are in full fruit-ripening mode here.

There's a big, spreading, single-trunked
A.laevis(Allegheny serviceberry) at the public
library in town that's loaded with fruits. Picked a
half-gallon in almost no time .
The corneliancherry dogwoods on the other side of the
creek (Little River) from the library are carrying a
heavy crop of fruit, but we're still at least a month
away from them being ripe.

Stopped by the elementary school my kids attended on
the way home yesterday - we'd planted 5
A.xgrandiflora seedlings(from the now-defunct Bear
Creek Nursery) there in 2000 or 2001; 4 of the 5 have
managed to survive the regular efforts of the school
system's maintenance crew to reduce all ground
surrounding schools to a barren lawn, and have grown
to be handsome multi-stemmed bushes about 10 ft in in
height. All carrying a good crop of tasty berries
easily twice the size of the A.laevis berries in
town. Picked another good 'mess' of berries there -
much to the displeasure of the mockingbirds.

Made serviceberry pancakes for breakfast this
morning, and a serviceberry cobbler to go along with
dinner this evening.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] Serviceberries, Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu, 05/31/2009