nafex - [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 05:01:42 -0400

The only mulberry I grow here is Illlinois Everbearing and it too has a mysterious tendency to check out with no suicide note.  Sometimes they get canker that I've never identified that kills the trees in a few years and sometimes they just don't come out of winter.  At least they often send up suckers from the roots when this happens so you can graft a new tree.  They are susceptible to scale so oil may be in order.

They are impossible for me to keep in a small space but you can keep them in-bounds by pruning them to a weep and summer pruning them once a season- removing all vigorous upright growth.  They make beautiful trees managed this way and you keep a lot of fruit in ladderless reach.