nafex - [NAFEX] A tale of 2 Elephant Hearts

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] A tale of 2 Elephant Hearts
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 04:41:58 -0400

The first Elephant I planted on my property was slow to come into bearing for an Asian plum but once it did it was a pretty consistant producer of wonderful fruit.  This in spite of being grown in a relatively shady spot.  However like many fed-fleshed plums it is not entirely cold-hardy here in southeastern NY Z6ish.  After 4 years of productivity it died.

I planted another in a sunnier more protected part of my property on the southeast side of my white house and have it trained to grow over an Airstream trailor.  I figured this would give it the equivalent of a southern CA sun where I originally fell in love with this variety.  The tree hasn't produced nearly as well and the fruit often has pitch pockets (I think Lon called it).  This year it bloomed wonderfully but doesn't have much to show for it.  I have a Santa Rosa growing in the same spot (they are as one) and to my surprise it has been the much better producer this year and last.  Both trees are probably about 7 years old.

I'm hopeful that once the EH settles down it will become more productive and less deffective.  It is still growing with extreme vigor in this spot- I'm afraid it's found my grey water spring.

On other sites I've planted it, Elephant Heart hasn't proven itself yet but I've only been distributing it for a few years.  I have the same hope of those trees.  I now believe Satsuma may be a better choice- the fruit is smaller, but just as good, and it bears quite young.

  • [NAFEX] A tale of 2 Elephant Hearts, Alan Haigh, 05/28/2009