nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scionwood to Mongolia

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scionwood to Mongolia
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:38:40 -0500

What puzzled me is that Mongolia should be a source of hardy apples.  Is it legal to send apple scions to Mongolia, and even if it is legal, how many pests do we have that could travel in scionwood?  I'd think that seeds would be safest.  They'd have to make their own selections, but if the seeds were from cross pollination, they'd have genes from both parents to choose from.     Donna
P.S.  Surely Russia is closer.  Officially Mongolia is part of China, and I expect that not much living plant matter gets in from the north ie Russia.