nafex - [NAFEX] No blossoms

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] No blossoms
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:37:31 -0300

Now I really need advice. I have a mature apple tree, Bramley's Seedling
grafted to a
seedling rootstock about 7 years ago. It has borne abundantly for the past 5
years. This
spring, however, there is not a single blossom anywhere on the tree. The
leaf buds are all
coming out, but not a single fruit bud. Another tree grafted to Bramley's
more recently,
nearby, has some blossoms (not a huge number, but certainly bearing),
suggesting that this
isn't a question of all the fruit spurs having been frozen off or something.
(I don't know
whether this ever actually happens, but it sounded possible.) Other vareties
are happily
blooming, so it seems unlikely to be related to climatic conditions.
Obviously most apples
tend to be biennial; is this just an extreme example of biennial (not)
bearing? (Does this
happen - absolutely no blossoms in the "off" years?)