nafex - [NAFEX] stopping squirrels with tangletrap

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] stopping squirrels with tangletrap
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:39:25 -0400

Yes at some sites I have stopped active raiding of squirrels with tangle trap  slopped on stretch wrap, both from Great Lakes IPM.  I am certain at these sites it worked because feeding stopped immediately after application.  I put it about 4' up the trunk and tie branches up when they get below that.  I spread it in about 8" lengths.  Below the tangle trap is a couple feet of aluminum flashing stapled around the trunk to keep coons and possums from climbing up the trunks which is completely affective stopping them unless you have a huge raccoon and need a little more length.  I'm told they use a similar method (metal) in Hawaii to stop rats.

Trapping works for coons and possums but the squirrels eventually stop going into traps in my experience.  Where tangle trap hasn't worked for squirrels (they preferred getting gooked to starving) the addition of netting somehow does the trick.

I am curious about Don the Jellyman's trick of mixing 50-50 plaster of paris with peanut butter and forming bon bons which is supposed to rapidly delete the squirrel problem.

  • [NAFEX] stopping squirrels with tangletrap, Alan Haigh, 05/20/2009