nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Reliance peach tree-

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Reliance peach tree-
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 19:01:59 -0400

Hi Toni,

I am not sure exactly what my plans are. I noticed that another NAFEXer from Quebec (zone 4b,5a) was
waiting for her Reliance buds to show some life as of the 11th of May. I believe that Reliance peach
trees are not long lived in the north but I was hoping for 10 years or so. I got mine form Siloam Orchards but
I believe Eric stopped selling them because they were just too unreliable as a cropper/survivor. As I said
last year (2008) I had a bountiful crop; the year before (2007), however, there was zilch to speak of - do
they tend towards being biennial I wonder?

I am going down to the Niagara region in early June - perhaps I will shop around for another Reliance or try
to find a PF 24 (?). Anyways it was worth growing the Reliance if only for that one wonderful summer bounty last year!

I am not sure but of of out of a population of over 200,000 inhabitants in Gatineau I think I would have won
the "most peaches grown in a single year" award !

Sincerely, Peter Drevniok, Gatineau, Quebec - zone 4b

Toni Pralle wrote:
<< I am having the exact same thing happening to my Reliance. Last
year I had a bumper crop on my tree (5 years since I planted it).<<

Yup. 5 years.Surely they last longer than that! Those came from
Gurneys/henry fields. Where did you get yours?

<<This year it has about 12 blooms on the bottom branch with a few
leaves; the rest of the tree looks dead. <<

I don't even have that. I'm going to let it go for a while longer.
What are you going to do? Do you suppose it would do any good to prune
the branches back to 6 inches or so?

<<<However,
during the previous winter (2007/2008) there was so much snow that
it broke a main lateral leaving a huge crack - this
no doubt did not help matters.>>

I have finally figured out how to beat the rabbits. Shhhhh!!! I put a
woven type of snow fence around all my trees last fall. I thought it
would be some protection from the wind, too. I have the new Reliance
from Gurney's/henry fields planted and also the two nicer trees from
Van Wells. I keep throwing money down a rat hole! Remember that movie,
The Money Pit? I feel like I'm living it.