nafex - [NAFEX] Identifying mulberry species

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Identifying mulberry species
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:39:38 -0400

I have several wild White Mulberries, and one similar, unproductive tree.  The mystery tree has slightly hairier leaves, but the growth habit, leaf structure, and bark are identical to the other trees.  This could indicate that it is a native red mulberry, but if that was the case I would expect it to produce berries like the other trees, since red and white mulberries can cross- pollinate.

Is it possible that it is a Paper Mulberry?  Do they look exactly like White Mulberries except for the berries and the leaf hairs?  Paper mulberries are dioecious, so it could be a male tree, which would explain the unproductivity.

Finally, are paper mulberries good to eat?  The tree does a good job preventing erosion, I would consider getting a female paper mulberry if they are worth growing.