nafex - [NAFEX] grapes - root pruning

  • From: Jon Place <jonp1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grapes - root pruning
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:09:31 -0400

Just planted 75 one year grape vines with extensive root systems - had to do significant root pruning to fit roots in hand dug holes (2 ft. deep by 1.5 ft. wide). Should we prune back canes to balance out root pruning? Some vines have two canes, most have one cane around 1-1.5 ft. long. Some literature recommends pruning canes other discourage pruning in first year - our concern is the fact that root mass was pruned back upwards of 30% and more.

Thanks for the advice,

Jon