nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:01:57 -0500

I had bought some "Poorman" Gooseberries because they were advertised as huge
but they turned out to be the tiniest I have ever seen.

That's odd, because my Poorman gooseberries are easily the largest of the half-dozen varieties I've planted, and they're also the best tasting when ripe (or almost ripe, which is how I like to eat them). Since they've also got very few thorns, I've got to say that it's my favorite variety, so far.

Hinnonmaki Yellow are my most prolific variety, though. The bush is very small, but I can't believe how many gooseberries it produces!

I pick everything when 50% of them exhibit their first glimmer of red color
because, if I wait any longer, the bugs start hollowing them out.

I had green worms hollow out my gooseberries my first season (just a couple of years ago). Luckily, the bad berries were easy to spot (they got sort of fuzzy), so I removed them half-way through the season. (The only problem was that the worms were surprisingly quick. I had to be fast at picking the berries and dropping them into a pail, or the worm would escape.) And a little /Bt/ seemed to fix the problem completely after that and the next year. I didn't find a single worm then.

I don't know if it's the same problem you're having, of course.

Note that I've heard of Tixia, but that's not one of the ones I planted.
From what I've heard, the berries are very large (similar to Invicta in
size), and the bush is productive, with few thorns. Supposed to be resistant to mildew, too.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Number of Gitmo detainees that the GOP hopes to keep off mainland U.S. soil with its "Keep Terrorists Out Of America Act": roughly 250. Number of Axis POWs detained in camps on the U.S. mainland at the end of WWII: roughly 425,000. - David Kurtz