nafex - Re: [NAFEX] roots

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] roots
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:06:20 -0500

Did you think about stooling it? Stooling is a method of encouraging roots to grow on woody stems so they can be divided. Stooling is commonly used to propagate dwarf rootstocks for grafting fruit trees. In late spring to mid-summer, soil is mounded up about a foot high around a young tree or a shrub. A plastic pot with the bottom cut out can be placed over the plant or a wooden frame can be built around the plant to keep the soil neatly in place. Roots will grow out of the buds and/or stems where it is covered by soil. When the plant is dormant, the soil is removed and the rooted stems are cut off a couple inches above the original ground level. In the spring, new shoots will grow from the cut off stems. In mid-summer, the new shoots are covered with soil and the process repeats. I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I hope it helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174