nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes - deer palatability, not here

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes - deer palatability, not here
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 06:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

levitation!

From: Jim Fruth <jimfruth@charter.net>
To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:55:15 AM
Subject: [NAFEX] Ribes - deer palatability, not here

Ernest Plutko wrote, "Deer have never bothered my currants and gooseberries
but mice and voles will strip bark and kill plants."

    That's interesting because the critters have never bothered any of my
Ribes (Red Currants,  two varieties of Black Currants and several varieties
of Gooseberries).  I just sort of assumed that rodents don't like Ribes.
    Could it be that the two to four inches of pine needles I mulch them
with keeps the rodents at bay?  Possibility?  I don't know, but after
reading Ernest's post, I'll keep mulching with pine needles.
    The only bark stripping damage I've experienced here was a fence
climbing rabbit that mowed my young peach trees one winter.  Now I use
spiral wrap on all fruit trees that don't yet have crusty bark.
    That rabbit?  I wouldn't have believed it until I saw rabbit tracks in
the new snow.  The tracks came up to the 1" x 2" woven wire fence and tracks
led away.  If that rabbit didn't climb the fence, then someone lifted him
over but there was only rabbit tracks.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472