nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <ossoeo@myfairpoint.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 14:20:04 -0400

On May 7, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
I was grocery shopping the other day, and found some interesting things: organic dried apricots, whole with pits, and organic apricot kernels, both imported from Afghanistan. Forgive me for being surprised that at least part of Afghanistan has been stable for long enough to allow an orchard to exist.

Melissa,
Am only speculating here, but from what I saw during a recent road trip through the Stans, apricot "orchards" hardly seem necessary, as wild trees are as prevalent
there as spruces are here in Maine. Even in the most rugged mountain terrain (think Osama) apricot trees seem to have established themselves wherever a few teaspoons of soil exist near a trickle of water: really pretty amazing. Contact me off list if you'd like to see photos.
Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5