nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neem Oil / Anthony Curcio

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neem Oil / Anthony Curcio
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 08:29:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have used Neem oil in the past. It is very effective against a wide range of pests, from insects to fungi. It is however very expensive and I have found it much cheaper to use other organic deterrents. As far as a spray schedule is concerned, I found that it was best to keep an eye on the weather. More rain, more frequent spraying. In hot dry weather you can probably get away with spraying every 2 -2 1/2 weeks for full protection. Also it depends on your pest load. If your pests find other sources of food elsewhere, you can back off the spraying a bit.
I know this is probably not too helpful. As I said, I gave up Neem oil because of the price. I now allow my fruit trees to fend for themselves. Some of my citrus have some minor diseases, but nothing that really affects the fruit or vigor of the trees. There is a really nasty citrus disease headed this way though, and I may try something to prevent it, though I suspect it will be a losing battle.