nafex - [NAFEX] Homogeneity of soil

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Homogeneity of soil
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 08:31:58 -0500

Something we don't much think about is the differences within any soil. Yesterday I did pH tests in my blueberry patch and results range between 5.5 and 7.5. I have two forty foot rows with plants spaced 2' apart, varieties Chippewa and Up North. When I first started playing with the idea of having a blueberry patch, the average pH was 7.3. I maintain acidity using Ammonium Sulfate and Phosphoric Acid. So long as most of the patch has a pH under 6, I do nothing with it. The plants growing in the higher pH spots look and produce identical to the others.
Then there is a three hundred square foot area in what used to be a raspberry patch. In the rows that included that spot, the berry bushes were stunted with poor berry productivity. I sent separate samples to the soils lab which came back as being no different than the rest of the patch. There was an unidentified something that inhibited raspberry growth in that spot; a honeyberry bush grows there now which isn't demonstrating anything peculiar.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Homogeneity of soil, Jim Fruth, 05/04/2009