nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Newtown Pippin may become official apple of NYC

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Newtown Pippin may become official apple of NYC
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:23:50 -0700

Newtown Pippin is my favorite apple and wasn't hard to find in a supermarket at all when I was a kid. Starting in the '80s, though, they were replaced by Granny Smiths and it's only recently that your average chain supermarket started carrying Newtown Pippins again. Your link made me wonder if I could find anything about how many acres are put to various varieties.

Anyway, a quick Google didn't turn up real specific info but the US Apple Association site has this list:

Nearly 100 varieties are grown commercially in the United States, but a total of 15 popular varieties account for almost 90 percent of 2006 production:

   1. Red Delicious
   2. Gala
   3. Golden Delicious
   4. Granny Smith
   5. Fuji
   6. McIntosh
   7. Rome
   8. Empire
   9. York
  10. Jonathan
  11. Idared
  12. Cortland
  13. Stayman
  14. Newtown
  15. Northern Spy

I'd still be interested in knowing which varieties are grown where as well as statistics on how many acres are grown per variety, including rarer heirloom varieties.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/