nafex - Re: [NAFEX] tyvec to shield organiphosphates

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • Cc: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] tyvec to shield organiphosphates
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:48:40 -0500

Alan,

It depends on which Tyvek you are using.  Tyvek comes uncoated or as a laminate (polyethylene [PE] -coated or Saranex 23P).  Uncoated Tyvek is about as effective as soil-repellent finished cotton or cotton/polyester blends. The laminates of Tyvek, especially Saranex-23P, are suitable for handling undiluted and highly toxic pesticides like organophosphates. But they cost a fortune!

You don't want to use PE Tyvek if there will be extended exposure to liquid organophosphates, because the emulsifier may damage the PE coating.  These organophosphates include malathion, acephate (Orthene), terbufos, diazinon, fonofos and diamethoate.

We used to use the Tyvek, but DuPont has patented a new fabric called NexGen they use on their Proshield line of suits.  The cost is actually a bit cheaper than Tyvek, especially Saranex 23P (about $25.00 ea.)  You can get the new DuPont Proshield with NexGen at Gempler's for about $4.77 ea. and it will not only meet your needs for a liquid and particulate resistant coverall, but is also comfortable and breathable enough to wear on hot and humid days.  The NexGen® fabric provides a barrier that is 99% efficient in blocking out particulates (down to .35 microns) and provides splash and spray protection against most pesticides.  You can find the Proshield, hooded or unhooded, elastic or no elastic, etc.  at http://www.gemplers.com/product/148006/DuPont-ProShield-NexGen-Unhooded-Coverall-w-Elastic.  The link is for the unhooded w/elastic which is the one we have been using.

Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467