nafex - [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Eggs of enlightenment

  • From: Toni Pralle <toni.pralle@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Eggs of enlightenment
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:53:15 -0500

> You should hear the comments we get when people see our green and blue
eggs from our Americauna chickens!  They usually think they are mouldy!  I
also laugh at the people who want to buy "farm fresh eggs", but first want
to know if they have those 'awful dark orange yolks"!  Why, yes they do and
I feed my chickens alfalfa hay all winter to make sure they stay that way
(weeds, grass and horror of horrors: worms, slugs and bugs in the summer
too!).<<

Yes, when I had the Araucana hens, people would only buy the blue eggs once, for a novelty.
I don't go into much detail about "free roaming" because if they were leery of farm eggs before, imagine the reaction to chickens scratching through and eating things from a pile of horse poop! I never have to drag my pasture, my chickens do it for me. I've also read the bennefits of feeding flax seed. I did it for a while. I have no idea if it makes any difference in the eggs. I raked up the compost pile again yesterday. I suppose that will be on my to do list every day until the grass comes in. I enjoy my chickie girls but not always the things the chickie girls do.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/

  • [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Eggs of enlightenment, Toni Pralle, 04/12/2009