nafex - [NAFEX] Recipe for Doc Farwells?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Recipe for Doc Farwells?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:19:12 -0400

On the subject of making your own grafting compound, Doc Farwells looks to me like one part latex tube caulk, one part water, and three drops of yellow food coloring. Has anyone tried making their own?

I already have the "real thing" but its going to run out eventually. Note that my tub is 4-5 years old and I have not had any problems with it drying out. I only use Doc Farwells for top-coating scions to keep them from drying; all grafts I wrap in parafilm, even cleft grafts if the stock is not too big.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Recipe for Doc Farwells?, Scott Smith, 04/08/2009