nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Gall

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Gall
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:51:19 -0400

Nicko:

Did you have a moderate to severe outbreak of cedar apple rust in the season
just past? Weather conditions in much of the east were highly favorable to
the spread of CAR in April, 2008. I kept waiting for a fairly dry, calm
spraying window to apply Ferbam, but ended up waiting too long and my apple
crop was devastated. There were lots of undeveloped mummies and bud galls
left on the trees over the winter. I have removed or pruned most of them
off, but don't know how this could be done on a large tree. However, I am
not at all certain that the blackened buds contain active infections that
will re-activate this season.

In any case, I learned my lesson, and have been out there with the sprayer
twice this season already, and will take advantage of any more fair weather
opportunities that present themselves later in April. After that, CAR is not
usually a problem here.

I know that Ferbam has become very difficult to obtain, but some backyard
growers are having success against CAR with a systemic product from
Spectracide called Immunox (myclobutanil). I have not used it myself, and it
may have some problems of resistance build-up, but if you are having windy,
wet weather in VT, you probably need to do something.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Apple Gall, Don Yellman, 04/03/2009