nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Brian Raby

  • From: "Raby, Brian" <brian.raby@roche.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Brian Raby
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:43:08 -0400

Murph,

I’m not planning on anything big right now.  The thought was to grow about 1.5 acres of traditional cider apples (Yarlington Mill, Kingston Black, etc..)  and combine it with a custom blend of base cider (Stayman Winesap, etc) that we can get from a local grower.  This will free up the room we need to produce the amount of hard cider we want to make.  The other portion of the land butts up against what will soon be a bike/horse trail south toward Indianapolis.  From this, I’m expecting a acre to acre and a half of pick-your-own apples with vegetables and perhaps cut flowers from another part of the property.  I also have access to other land around me that I could potentially use. In talking with our local extension agent, it sounds like Purdue has a program that will help me with the planning and marketing.

To say the least, I’m very, very excited about the possibilities.

Brian