nafex - [NAFEX] Nanking cherries--suited for personal fruit research

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Nanking cherries--suited for personal fruit research
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:42:02 -0400

Ginda,
We've been fruiting Nanking Cherries over 15 years.  Put in 30 of them on campus, bought as windbreak plants.  Good plants for kids because any age can reach them.  No ladder!  These are our first bush/tree fruits each spring, ripening along with juneberries (Amelanchier).

Have done absolutely nothing to them, whether pruning, weeding, fertilizing, etc.  Over the years, only 8-10 have survived the string trimmers and black knot.

Of the ones with strong black knot resistance, we transplanted seedlings of the best tasting ones.

Just set out 20 of these at our new farm.  Will be selecting these for flavor and disease resistance.

If we had enough, we could compare planting with/without mycorrhizal treatment of roots, even planting by/against the signs.

Thanks again to Lee Reich featuring nanking cherries and other low care fruits in his Uncommon Fruits books.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
Zone 6
Out to transplant more rhubarb.

  • [NAFEX] Nanking cherries--suited for personal fruit research, Richard Moyer, 03/30/2009