nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning a plum tree

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning a plum tree
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:03:26 -0400

Even though the first day of spring only made it up to 31 degrees and the low was forecast to be 3 below zero (only got down to +5 though), spring pruning season will soon be in full swing.
I have 3 new plum trees that now have 2 season's growth after being planted as small trees. It's time to decide how I want to start training them. I'm not a total beginner at this. I had a Mt Royal plum for several years. I trained it to an open center with 4 major scaffolds. Nature kind of decided that for me when it was young. An ice storm bent the central leader into a sharp U. It didn't break and I could have straightened it back up, I think, but the rest of the tree was about right so I took it as a sign to cut it off right there. I also have several different American hybrid plums. These are pretty much a thicket that I grafted on American Plum shoots that shot up after some previously planted trees died off leaving their Prunus americana roots to survive.

My new trees are 2 European plums; Opal and Todd, plus an Alderman tree which will obviously be very vigorous. These will be yard trees so I need to be able to mow under them. I didn't have a lot of spare space for more trees so I can't let them spread real wide. The open center Mt Royal I spoke of ended up being a very wide tree.

I'm thinking the Opal could be open center since it doesn't seem so vigorous and maybe I could control the size. The Todd may have space for that too, actually. The Alderman... I've never tried to train an American hybrid with an open center and I can't really picture it working, knowing the way they grow. What do you think for this one?

I'm just throwing this out, hoping some of you will offer some nuggets of advice before I go out there next month and commit to the wrong pruning system!

Steve in the Adirondacks (zone 4 on the map, zone 3 in real life)