nafex - Re: [NAFEX] scab and CAR control in southeastern NY Z6

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] scab and CAR control in southeastern NY Z6
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:11:58 -0500

You must be one of the more fortunate ones in NY.  I know resistance has been an issue there.  We usually end up doing a maximum of four sprays and can get by some seasons with only three.  From 2003 to 2007 we got by with only three and never had scab, but in '08 we had a horrible scab year and had to do the fourth.  With the amount of inoculum in the orchard now, I have been keeping it at four.  The summer spray is more for sooty blotch, fly spec than anything else.  CAR is no problem for us at all.  We Have never had an incidence of it in any of the orchards.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174