nafex - Re: [NAFEX] More on starting apple pear, peach, and plum seeds

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More on starting apple pear, peach, and plum seeds
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't recommend starting peach seeds indoors in yogurt containers as the
seeds are so big you would fill your fridge up with little containers.
However, I can tell you that those big (6" x 16") shallow plastic clamshell
Lumberjack sandwich containers from the local grocery can be filled with 1"
of dirt, paved with peach seeds and then covered with another 1/2" of damp
dirt and put it in a plastic bag to cold stratify in the fridge for 6 weeks!
The peaches sprouted at a really uneven rate so I transplanted everything
from 3" tall baby trees to just split pits, but all looks good after 2 days.

The plum seeds come from my father-in-laws patch of 50 year old plum bushes
gone wild so I stuck them in the dirt since I can get lots more if I need to.

Sarah
Zone 3
Edm, AB