nafex - [NAFEX] starting peach seeds

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] starting peach seeds
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:15:18 -0500

I've always just planted my peach pits and plum pits directly in my garden.  I plop them in an area the size of a 55-gallon drum head, and surround them with wire.  Actually, I sometimes just lay the wire on the ground over them and let the seedlings grow up through the wire.  Peach seedlings are apparently bitter enough that the mice don't bother them like they do my apples.

If you're really lucky, you can bud the seedlings the first summer/early fall.  If not, whip graft them the next spring.  If that fails, then I try budding again later in their second summer.

Play the odds - plant and graft lots.  Something will surely take!

Tim Inman
Randolph, Iowa

  • [NAFEX] starting peach seeds, Tim Inman, 03/16/2009