nafex - Re: [NAFEX] snow for storing scions

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>, NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] snow for storing scions
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:51:55 -0700 (PDT)

I am about 45 minutes South of Edmonton, Alberta in zone 3/3b. If you find a
good map you can find the tiny community of Pipestone just East of Pigeon
Lake.

I agree that the damage appears after warm spells. I think the damage
probably occurs when we have thawing during the day when our temperature hits
+10 to 20 C (50 - 68 F, I found my Metric conversion calculator so these are
accurate temperature comparisons today!) and then refreezing at night. Or
when we get those 30+ degree changes in less than 24 hours! Perhaps the
water doesn't have time to move back out of the cells into the interstitial
spaces and then the cells rupture when the water they still contain freezes
and expands. Or perhaps the repeated movement in and out of the cell
combined with dehydration/water loss to the air from the cells is not able to
be replaced because the ground is still frozen and the sap isn't running.

I confess that my degrees are in human biology and that botany was merely an
interesting required undergrad class!

Sarah