nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chenago Strawberry scions please

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chenago Strawberry scions please
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:06:20 -0400

I was going to write to Just Jim, since this is a reply to a message that is 3 weeks old. Changed my mind...
I just wanted to mention my experience with Chenango Strawberry Apple. (note the spelling difference) I only have 4 apple trees but 3 of them have multiple grafts giving me at least a dozen different cultivars. The Chenango Strawberry is the only one that froze off. Jim, my climate is probably similar to yours with most winters getting to -30 to -35 degrees. My grafted branch survived long enough to produce 3 apples (beautiful things) but 2 winters ago, it froze back part way. Last winter we had a single night of -34 and last spring that branch was dead right back to the graft.
I'm not suggesting that you don't try it but do keep in mind that it could lack enough hardiness for your location.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Jim Fruth wrote:
Does anyone have Chenago Strawberry Apples? Could I get some scionwood [I like prefer 1/4" (+/-)]. We can trade too; I have several zone 3 apples and pears plus other fruits.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Chenago Strawberry scions please, Steve, 03/14/2009