nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Milk, goats, antibiotics and alternative medicine

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Milk, goats, antibiotics and alternative medicine
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:42:33 -0400

Naomi and Sarah,

Don't want to drag out this off topic thread but found it fascinating.  Used to work at a stables/ small farm when I was younger that had a whole range of animals including a small herd of goats, so it brings back memories of milking, looking after the kids, eating various types of chewy goat stew, and trying to keep the killer billy from headbutting anyone too seriously (unfortunately he evenutally killed the best doe).

Being a Brit, and having a cousin who has a Holstein fram in the UK, it freaks me out to hear the NA Holsteins don't go out to pasture.  Shows how naive I am. I do appreciate being in Canada where the milk, even non-organic, is (at least claims to be) antibiotic and hormone free.

The world is a frightening place.  Good luck and kudos to you for your organic treatments.

Caren.