nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Digging rabbits?

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Digging rabbits?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 09:42:12 -0800

I was watching a BBC series called "Victorian Farm" and they had an interesting way of dealing with rabbits. Some locals were experienced rabbiters. They had some docile trained ferrets. They had a hunting dog with them as backup. They'd walk to where there were signs of a warren and put a net over every hole they could find. Then they'd lift one of the nets just enough to put a ferret in. The ferret would prompt the rabbits to run the other way, escaping through some other hole. If they somehow got out of the snare net on the end of the hole, the dog would catch them.

They caught 6 rabbits this way, all for the stewpot.